Skip to main content

Do we have to call them 21st Century Skills?

I'm glad a few years ago I introduced the book 21st Century Skills: Learning for Life in Our Times to our administration. It was exciting to have an assistant superintendent interested in changing the conversation for learning in our school district. While I still certainly appreciate the content of this book, I am soooooooo sick of hearing about 21st Century Learning, 21st Century Skills, 21st Century ad nauseam. Isn't there a better way to phrase this for everyday conversation? Perhaps we need to stick with this so everyone hears consistent jargon, but I don't think people overall have the right idea of what it means. I would imagine if we polled our staff or parents they would say its technology or computer skills. That couldn't be further from the truth. If I say higher order thinking skills I think that's pretty clear (at least to me) of what that means. I worry 21st Century means the Jetsons or Star Trek to all too many people.

I appreciate Tony Wagner's "Survival Skills" because that's what they are for the modern economy - how to compete with your peers around the world. When the founders of High Tech High started planning in 1998, did they say "we're going to focus on 21st Century Skills?" I wasn't there, but I doubt it. If you go to the page on their history, the only time 21 comes up is at the bottom of the screen for the last time the page was updated.

Is there a better way to frame the conversation? Or should we just stick with what we have?

Comments

  1. I agree that "21st century skills" is no longer the best descriptor. Our school board actually refers to these generally as "learning skills" and C21L (Council on 21st Century Learning)has the tagline "Envision next generation learning" - which is still pretty vague. I think higher order thinking skills only addresses some of the skills - I am not sure about collaboration and communication being covered by that phrase. Survival skills seems like it could be about something else entirely - though I know what he means.

    Just brainstorming now:
    -Skills for success
    -Solution-making skills
    -Active learning skills
    -habits of mind
    -life skills

    Can't wait to see what others come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy - Thanks for the post! I agree higher order thinking skills doesn't cover all the bases - but it is a good start. I'm looking at HOTS as simply terminology that makes sense to the average person - again, at least it makes sense to me. That's a good tagline that frames the conversation well. Allows the person to wonder...

    I really like the way "habits of mind" sounds, but it would still confuse.

    Others...
    Modern competition skills?
    Modern life skills?
    Contemporary competition/life skills?
    Problems solving skills? That could cover many fields - farmers, auto mechanics, bankers, teachers all solve problems everyday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Practical Ideas on Teacher Ed Reform

A few weeks after the election Gov. Scott Walker spoke about changing the way we fund pubic K-12 and higher education. It's the usual tough talk about "outcomes" with on comment in particular that has turned some heads. "In higher education, that means not only degrees, but are young people getting degrees in jobs that are open and needed today -- not just the jobs that the universities want to give us, or degrees that people want to give us." Part of me could go on and on about where this could lead - plus  there are no specifics behind this statement, but I just want to focus my mental capital on things I know about - Schools of Education.  What we don't need anymore of are graduates who don't have a robust background in educating all learners. I recently ran into a former student who is now 21. He proudly told me he was getting an education degree to teach social studies. My response was "That's great! What do you think about gett

Google Reader's End - Maybe its a Good Thing?

Like other folks, I was surprised and annoyed about the end of life announcement on Google Reader. This is something I use everyday (but I guess I'm only one of a few thousand...not several million) and I rely on it for getting a great deal of good ideas sent directly to me. Tonight I had a thought that it might be a good thing. Did Google Reader stunt my own growth and curiosity to read about what many others have to say? There's tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands or more...) of educators out there sharing what they're doing, what they're thinking about but don't have the bully pulpit of Larry Cuban or Will Richardson. It certainly doesn't mean they have lesser things to say. Mostly they right about their own action research they're doing right now - very useful things to read for practitioners. In the last few weeks I've divorced myself from Reader and used other avenues to get my information from. Tonight I came upon this nice post on I

Moving Beyond Platform Bias or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love (well, Like) Windows 7

My wife will tell you I'm a Mac snob and she's right. For the last seven years I've been an avid Mac user and all-things-Apple proponent. I'm a veteran of platform battles. XP drove me nuts. Back then I felt people wanted it because it was easier for network folks to manage and it allowed users not to have to think about much. "Computing for Dummies" I thought in my younger, more smug days. I argued with folks up and down about why we needed the Mac OS, how important iLife was to creating things that register on meaningful parts of Bloom's Taxonomy. I still believe those things are important, I'm just realizing it can be done a couple of different ways. For seven years I lived in a 90% Mac district. We were early adopters of all things iOS as well. Then I moved out of the Apple Orchard on to new adventures this past month. More than one former colleague thought it was pretty funny I'd be moving onto a Windows district that ran a Novell network